Day 3: Mud Wrestling
Day 3 of the dig and it's...yep, raining. The mud, now starting to get sticky, feels like it weighs a tonne as you try and walk with a pair mud boots and shovel it into an ever tipping over wheelbarrow. There's nothing better than consistency! The first break was welcomed by all as we sat down groaning with muscle ache. Break being over, The A Team took the lead in using the dumpy level to record the ground measurements, whilst the others were left to get down and dirty once again! Thankfully, by lunchtime the rain decided to abate a little and we all tramped back to the hut for sandwiches, tea and hand washing queues.
Adam learns to pull girls! Whilst the thick of the rain hits the site it has turned in to a muddy mess. This led to poor Freya sinking into the trench whilst clearing the backfill. However her saviour was at hand as Adam came to the rescue and pulled her out of the sticky mud, resulting in them both falling backwards into the trench and Adam landing a mud bum. However, Adam didn't receive a token for his heroics so he still has something to learn.
It rained today, a lot. This made the site very slippy and the mud very sticky, as I found out when I nearly lost a shoe getting stuck in it. Thankfully I was rescued by Adam and alls well that ends well. The rain stopped briefly after lunch and we did some work with the dumpy level, however, somewhat inevitably the rain started again. This unfortunately led to us having to stop a bit early for the day.
The day began to pack away the terram sheets which were used to protect the underlying archaeology of the trench. Although first done with relative ease, it became increasingly difficult when the rain began! Although we began to find some artefacts, overall it was a very uneventful day.
Today’s start was quite wet but the job was to finish off removing the topsoil from the rest of the east site of the trench. This was interesting as this started to reveal the Roman road beneath. However after the afternoon break finished only 15 minutes of work was done before a heavy downpour occurred resulting in an early finish, which was a shame since I hadn’t finished fixing the barrow run up the spoil heap!