A barn building?
Today started off by finishing the section drawing that was started the previous day. The section was of a linear feature that could have possibly held a beam/ It is still unclear what sort of building it was for, but it has been suggested that it could have been for a barn. After the section drawing was complete, we needed to clear the baulk to link up with the next section of the feature, which just so happened to be the one I spent most of yesterday with my head down it as it was about four feet deep!
The afternoon saw us back inside with the finds. We learnt how to classify the objects we have excavated over the past two and half weeks. We had to descirbe the object, commenting on its form, condition and fabric. This allowed us to classify and bag the objects by their groups. The last hour of the day had us cleaning more finds in the finds room - as usual, we all avoided the bags full bones!
|Preparing to excavate a section through the 'barn' wall slot.|